Thursday, November 20, 2008

what to do about the crack cocaine

I'm a labor & delivery nurse. I travel doing this trade. Most of the time, I can't get enough of it. Today was not one of those days.

I had a lady come in today with symptoms of being "on something". Her main complaint, besides contractions, was that she , "just wanted to sleep". I guess so, considering the fact that she had probably been up around 36 hrs doing cocaine.

The drug screen was indeed positive, and she now laments her decisions and is crying to keep her baby..(although she doesn't have custody of her other 3). My job? Love her. Tell her the truth is the best thing...admit what you've done, pray for the rest. Encourage her. Call social services.

She thanked me, and told me to "have a good day". You too, I said. Knowing that mine would end up quite different than hers.

Although I will have another in flux of patients tomorrow, I will check in on her. One, because I told her I would. Two, because I really want to see what happens. Will anything I said to her get through? God only knows. He's also the only one with the power to change anything. Hopefully, though, whatever kindness and truth I may have shown will penetrate the thick walls of deception, delusion, and despair that are overtaking this woman who now has a baby girl that will always be a result of her mother's choices. mc

No comments: